The Loudmouths are a group of young people aged 14-25 with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND).
Our Young Persons Engagement Group runs twice monthly and provides a safe, fun and supportive space for young people to discuss the things that affect them.
Our aim is to ensure that young people are having their say and getting their voices heard regionally and nationally with the hopes of creating positive change.
What happens in a session ?
Every session is different depending on who we’re working with or what we’re working on. But there a few things that you can always count on – lots of social, catch-up time, fun, and a pizza or chippy, too!
What sort of things do the groups do to make a difference?
- We voice our opinions at local groups like the Young People’s Mental Health Advisory Group and Young People’s Parliament.
- We get the chance to take part in the Collective Power hours and Collective Get Togethers, where we can discuss national topics to create & improve policy.
- We get the chance to travel across the country to deliver workshops to different SEND services.
- We talk to local authorities, health services, schools and colleges to help improve the way they support those with SEND.
- We also work with the Department for Education to include the voice of young people in creating & improving policy.
“It’s important for us to have our voices heard, because it affects the way we’re treated”
What have been the highlights at your group?
Some things that we have achieved at the Loud Mouths Group in the past year include:
- a BBC Radio Humberside Interview
- Taking part in a charity single with “One Voice”
- Being interviewed on the local ITV News
- Creating an animated video about Neurodiversity
- Attending ‘The Collective Get Together’ in London
- Feeding into the Government’s SEND Review – all about our priorities!
- Helping to set up a new Participation Group in Wakefield
- Attending a local Young People’s Parliament
How do I find out more?
If you want to get involved or if you just want to find out more, fill in the form and we will get back to you as soon as we can!