Leaving school and getting a job is a big change. It’s natural to feel nervous about it. In this Guide we find out what it’s like finding a job and being in work.
ON THIS PAGE
What work is like
Sam and Ethan are pupils at Exhall Grange Specialist School in Coventry. They wanted to find out what it was like having a job. So they travelled to Birmingham to meet former pupil, Megan, to hear about her experiences of work.
Press the play button to watch the film.
Megan's Top Tips
In the film Megan gave her advice for finding and applying for a job:
- Take your time and don’t pressure yourself into finding a job.
- Read the job description thoroughly to make sure the job is suitable for you.
- Do your research about the job and the company. Make bullet points with key information.
- Be prepared when you go to an interview. Have your qualifications, CV, and any references ready. And take some bullet-point notes so you can refer to them easily during the interview.
- Talk to your employer about your needs. Employers have to consider your needs and good employers are very supportive these days.
“The key to not feeling so nervous is to have a good support network around you.”
Below you will find links to websites and documents that give more advice about moving into employment